12th June, 2015 • Birmingham
CALL FOR EXCITING & INTERESTING THINGS! Do you do exciting and (or) interesting things? Then this is for you!
Bees in a Tin is a gathering happening on the 12th of June 2015 for interesting and exciting people who make unique interfaces for the world around them. This year it’s happening in partnership with Supersonic as part of their annual festival of experimental music and art.
And we’re currently looking for people to present… interesting and exciting things, experiences, performances, talks, artefacts, ideas and other nouns, at the event.
If you have devised (or are devising) a novel way of interacting with your surroundings that makes people stop, think or just go “wow!”, then we would like to be in the same room as you. Your project could be a performance piece; guided walk; interactive object; data visualisation; science experiment or something completely different. Surprise us!
We’ve started the programming with a keynote presentation from the extraordinary Owl Project. What happens next is up to you.
It doesn’t have to be arts-based and it doesn’t have to be finished: we’re looking for things that invite us to consider our position in relationship to things differently.
We’ll be in a space that can accommodate talks, workshops and/or playtesting and feedback on work in progress. Tell us how you’d like to feed into the day and we’ll do our best to squeeze in as much amazing stuff as we can.
- We are unable to offer any technical support beyond provision of a laptop, digital projector and amplified sound for the presentations. Please ensure you can be technically self-sufficient if you are proposing an alternative activity.
- Presentations are likely to be capped at something like 10-15 minutes each in order to allow time for discussion.
- We are offering a fee of £250 for contributors (shared if there are more than one of you), we also have a very limited budget to support workshops and the like that incur materials costs. We’ll pick up conversations about money with individuals after the selection process when we have a better idea of how the event will manifest itself.
- The event space is wheelchair accessible, but let us know if you have any specific accessibility or mobility requirements and we’ll work with you to make things as trouble-free as possible.
- Our event spaces are: a lecture theatre, a meeting room seating 10, a large room with a flat carpeted floor, various large areas open to the atrium.
- Please don’t assume an adult-only audience.
If you’d like to submit something to our selection panel (Nikki Pugh, Katie Day and Lisa Meyer), please download and complete the expression of interest from the link below and send it and any supporting images (less than 3MB total size) to bees2015 [at] manyandvaried [dot] org [dot] uk by 5pm on the 29th of April.
Please rename the file with your first and surname at the beginning of the filename. For example: ‘Joe-Bloggs–Bees-in-a-Tin-2015-EOI’
If you have any queries, please contact us.
Deadline for submissions: 5pm, 29th April, 2015
Notification of successful proposals: 8th May, 2015
Event date: 12th of June, 2015
Thinktank at Millennium Point
Curzon Street, Birmingham, West Midlands B4 7XG http://www.millenniumpoint.org.uk/visit-us/
You can download the expression of interest form from either of these links